Getting Started as a Health or Patient Advocate or Care Manager
If you have interest in becoming a private, professional, independent patient or health advocate or care manager, there are many resources to help you.
Here we provide information about taking courses, earning a certificate, joining a patient or health advocacy organization, researching, or participating in web-based conversations. See below to link to the latest information about patient advocacy certification.
Making the Decision: Is a Patient or Health Advocacy Career the Right Choice for You?
When Your Decision Is Made: Find a master list of resources for starting your own private practice here.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Started with Your Advocacy Practice is available as a free download with an APHA membership. Learn more.
Health and Patient Advocate Educational Programs
…provides a master list of all learning opportunities for patient and health advocates and navigators, those who are exploring the concept, or considering advocacy as a career.
Included are overviews and student or member reviews of these private advocacy organizations.
Programs listed include: private advocacy programs, hospital patient advocate and navigator programs, specialized programs, workshops and events, and professional membership organizations.
Mentors – people with experience establishing and growing private advocacy practices, and are willing to teach others to do the same, are available through a membership in The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates.
The Health Advocacy Career Series
- So You Want to Be a Patient Advocate? Choosing a Career in Health or Patient Advocacy
- The Health Advocate’s Start and Grow Your Own Practice Handbook
- The Health Advocate’s Basic Marketing Handbook
- The Health Advocate’s Advanced Marketing Handbook
Plus, to learn about the healthcare system, and ways advocates can assist the patients they work with:
- You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes (How to Fix Them to Get the Healthcare You Deserve)
- You Bet Your Life! The Top 10 Reasons You Need a Professional Patient Advocate by Your Side (this book is free with a new APHA membership – details here.)
Online Articles and Forums
- Patient Navigator Forum Group at Linked In (you must be listed at Linked In)
- Alliance of Professional Advocates Connect! Forum (you must be a member of APHA)
- Patient Advocates Forum Group at Linked In (you must be invited by the PPAI)
Patient Advocate Certification:
- The Myth of Patient Advocate Certification
- Why We Should Avoid Using the Title Certified Patient Advocate
- Revisiting Education and Patient Advocates Certification
- An Advocate’s Allegiance Makes All the Difference
- Stay Up to Date with the Patient Advocate Certification Board