If you are curious about patient or health advocacy, and how it is treated by the media (newspapers, radio, TV, web) you may find any of the following links interesting.
News by or about our Alliance Patient and Health Advocate Members can be found at the top of this list.
We welcome media inquiries. Media contact information is located here.
News By or About The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates and its Advocate Members
- An article in the Wall Street Journal, How to haggle down your medical bills, featured APHA member Linda Adler.
- APHA, NAHAC and many members of both organizations were recently featured in the American Airlines in-flight magazine: A New Breed Navigating Health Care
- Elisabeth Russell, APHA member, was featured in two articles: Working in Retirement – How to Be a Patient Advocate, and Patient Navigators, a Port in the Storm
- APHA member Linda Garvin, is published Part II of “How to Be Your Own Health Advocate” in the American Chronic Pain Association’s newsletter. (See page 14.)
- Julie Harris, APHA member, featured in Akron Beacon Journal: Sisters with nursing background start advocacy firm
- APHA member Linda Garvin, is published in the American Chronic Pain Association’s newsletter, “How to Be Your Own Health Advocate“.
- From the Libertyville News: Libertyville nurse advocates for patients features APHA member Teri Dreher
- Member Mary Harris, Lifelong Wellness, published an article in Colorado Health: Stem Cell Medicine Can Improve Lives and Reduce U.S. Health Costs
- Forbes featured APHA member Alan Blaustein and CarePlanners in an article entitled Why Digital Health Is Different From Any Other Business
- US News and World Report’s Best Hospitals 2012 featured member Mary Aime-Juedes in an article about medical advocates.
- NPR looked at patient advocacy including an interview with Elisabeth Russell
- CarePlanners’ Alan Blaustein, APHA member, was featured in New York StartUp Wants to be Your AAA for Healthcare
- Linda Garvin was quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle about paying cash, and negotiating the price of healthcare.
- Member, Mary Harris’s article The Evolution of Assisted Living was published by Colorado Health.
- The Wall Street Journal wrote about Patient Navigation and featured Elisabeth Russell in Health Navigating Health Care System.
- Read about Ken Schueler, and the Schueler Patient Advocacy Compass Award from the Great Neck News. (learn more about the award here.)
- AdvoConnection is cited in an article in SeacoastOnline (Portsmouth, NH) called Patients Are Urged to Advocate for Themselves
- Karen Mercereau of RNPatientAdvocates was interviewed by the Arizona Daily Star for The Business of Health Advocacy
- APHA member Mary Harris’s article “Independent Private Patient Advocates” was published in the Berthoud Weekly Surveyor.
- CureToday.com quoted APHA member Elisabeth Russell in its article entitled How to Talk to Your Doctor About What You Find on the Internet
- AdvoConnection is mentioned in the May 2012 issue of Health Magazine (Get the Right Diagnosis Every Time – page 20.)
- Linda Adler, member of AdvoConnection, published Understanding Patient Advocates and Patient Navigators at the blog, The Doctor Weighs In
- Compliance from a Patient’s Point of View – written by APHA member Jacqueline O’Doherty and published in the Journal for Patient Compliance (p. 10)
- The Pittsburgh Post Gazette featured ‘Health concierges’ and other helpers cloud health services quoting APHA member Elisabeth Russell
- Nurse Together featured an article about the career of private patient advocacy written by Debi Quirk, iRNPA and member of AdvoConnection.
- AdvoConnection featured in Woman’s Day Magazine: 6 Things Your Patient Advocate Wants You to Know
- APHA member, Linda Garvin interviewed regarding a senior who was being denied benefits on KCBS San Francisco.
- Sharon Gauthier appeared in the Windsor Patch: Sharon Gauthier Speaks for Those Who Cannot
- AdvoConnection mentioned by the Wall Street Journal, What to do when your condition is uninsurable
- Dr. Steven Kussin, APHA Member, was featured in a Syracuse Post Standard article about his Shared Decision Making practice
- Simone Khan of RN Patient Advocates of Wichita (Kansas) was featured in KWCH’s “In Case of Emergency” including an online chat with viewers.
- Claudia K. Nichols of Pilot Health Advocates was interviewed about professional patient advocacy on the Call Kira show (see September 16.)
- Mary Aime-Juedes appeared with Boomer and the Babe discussing patient advocacy on Blog Talk Radio
- Amy Cuykendall was interviewed by Dale Carter on BlogTalkRadio.
- Hear an interview with Mary Aime-Juedes on The Pulse-AZ Radio Show
- APHA member Ida Schnipper, was quoted in this Reuter’s article: Shopping for health insurance? 5 tips on how to get it right
- Raquel Gabriel-Bennewitz, APHA member, was featured in Advocates Navigate the Health Care Hurricane in the Chicago Tribune
- APHA Member Amy Cuykendall received the 2011 Leaders in the Law Award
from the Florida Association for Women Lawyers.
- Mary Aimé-Juedes, APHA member, was a featured guess on the My Money Place radio program.
- Member Joanna Smith featured in Marketwatch video, When Health System Fails You, Advocates Can Help
- How to Get Retiree Health Insurance Before 65 (from US News and World Report) quotes APHA member, Elisabeth Russell
- Why You May Need a Health Advocate (by Director of AHRQ, Dr. Carolyn Clancy, AARP Bulletin)
- Private Healthcare Advocates Offer Other Options (from the Wall Street Journal and Market Watch)
- Patient advocates harness the potential of EMRs by APHA member Jacqueline O’Doherty
- Navigating Through the Healthcare Maze (Vienna / Oakton, VA Connection) Feature on Elisabeth Russell and her story of building Patient Navigator
- Many APHA members are mentioned in this excellent overview of the business of patient advocacy in Modern Healthcare called Empowering the Patient
- Amy Cuykendall, Best Patient Advocates, and AdvoConnection legal advisor was named 2010 Young Professional of the Year/ St. Petersburg, FL
- Joanna Smith, Healthcare Liaison, interviewed by Modern Healthcare Magazine.
- Elisabeth Russell, the President of Patient Navigator LLC was quoted in an article published on the AOL “Wallet Pop” column by Tom Barlow, Caught in a Medical Nightmare – A Patient Advocate Might Help
- Kathryn Gohman’s work is cited in Scientific American: The Rise of the Empowered Patient
- Savvy Smarts: Deriving the Most Benefit from Your Next Medical Appointment (by Linda Garvin)
- Someone on Your Side — from O Magazine includes three of AdvoConnection’s health advocates - Hari Khalsa, Gail Gazelle and Ken Schueler
- Learn how to handle complex and confusing healthcare systems from Jacqueline O’Doherty
- Advocates Help Patients Navigate the Healthcare Maze (NPR – featuring APHA member Dianne Savastano)
- Ken Schueler Interviewed by Dr. Christine Horner
News About Health and Patient Advocacy in General or as a Career
- From the New York Times: A gray Jobs Market for All Ages
- From Caregiver Survival Network: Is Hiring a Patient Advocate Right for You?
- From Forbes Magazine: Everyone Needs a Healthcare Coach
- From the San Diego Union-Tribune: Helping Patients Find Their Way
- From the Montreal Gazette: Navigating our health-career maze
- From Kevin MD / Steven Reznick, MD: Patient advocacy is essential in health insurance appeals
- From Fierce Healthcare Patient advocates often connect in ways doctors can’t
- From Judith Graham / Chicago Tribune: Patient Advocates help navigate medical maze
- From Judy Foreman / Boston Globe: For when a doctor and a nurse just aren’t enough
- From Lesley Alderman / New York Times: After a Diagnosis, Someone to Help Point the Way
- From Tara Parker-Pope / New York Times: Hiring a Patient Advocate (see mention of AdvoConnection)
- From Entrepreneur Magazine: Hot Trends to Explore (up and coming new careers)
- From Marty Nemko at US News and World Report: Ahead of the Curve Careers
- From Richard Knox at NPR: Advocates Help Patients Navigate Health Care Maze
- Learn to be a patient advocate at About.com
- From Sign-on San Diego Patient advocates can make a difference