If you are interested in taking courses, earning a certificate, joining a patient or health advocacy organization, researching, or participating in web-based conversations, you’ll find more information here.
Master List of Health and Patient Advocate Resources
Health Advocate Educational Programs
…provides a master list of all learning opportunities for patient and health advocates and navigators, those who are exploring the concept, or considering advocacy as a career.
Included are overviews and student or member reviews of these private advocacy organizations.
Programs listed include: private advocacy programs, hospital patient advocate and navigator programs, specialized programs, workshops and events, and professional membership organizations.
Also listed are mentors - people with experience establishing and growing private advocacy practices, and are willing to teach others to do the same, will be listed at this education site.
The Health Advocacy Career Series
- So You Want to Be a Patient Advocate? Choosing a Career in Health or Patient Advocacy
- The Health Advocate’s Start and Grow Your Own Practice Handbook
- The Health Advocate’s Basic Marketing Handbook
- The Health Advocate’s Advanced Marketing Handbook
Plus, to learn about the healthcare system, and ways advocates can assist the patients they work with:
- You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes (How to Fix Them to Get the Healthcare You Deserve)
Online Articles and Forums
- Patient Navigator Forum Group at Linked In (you must be listed at Linked In)
- Alliance of Professional Advocates Forum Group at Linked In (you must be listed at Linked In and a member of The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates)
- Patient Advocates Forum Group at Linked In (you must be invited by the PPAI)
- General articles about patient advocacy, becoming a patient advocate, and starting a patient or health advocacy business.
Patient Advocate Certification:
- The Myth of Patient Advocate Certification
- Why We Should Avoid Using the Title “Certified Patient Advocate”
- Revisiting Education and Patient Advocates’ Certification
- An Advocate’s Allegiance Makes All the Difference
Health Advocate Code of Conduct and Professional Standards: