If you are interested in taking courses, earning a certificate, joining a patient or health advocacy organization, researching, or participating in web-based conversations, you’ll find more information here.
Master List of Health and Patient Advocate Resources
Health Advocate Educational Programs
…provides a master list of all learning opportunities for patient and health advocates and navigators, those who are exploring the concept, or considering advocacy as a career.
Included are overviews and student or member reviews of these private advocacy organizations.
Programs listed include: private advocacy programs, hospital patient advocate and navigator programs, specialized programs, workshops and events, and professional membership organizations.
Also listed are mentors - people with experience establishing and growing private advocacy practices, and are willing to teach others to do the same, will be listed at this education site.
- The Health Advocate’s Marketing Handbook
- The Health Advocate’s Start and Grow Your Own Practice Handbook
- You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes (How to Fix Them to Get the Healthcare You Deserve)
Online Articles and Forums
- Patient Navigator Forum Group at Linked In (you must be listed at Linked In)
- Alliance of Professional Advocates Forum Group at Linked In (you must be listed at Linked In and a member of The Alliance of Professional Health Advocates)
- Patient Advocates Forum Group at Linked In (you must be invited by the PPAI)
- General articles about patient advocacy, becoming a patient advocate, and starting a patient or health advocacy business.
Patient Advocate Certification:
- The Myth of Patient Advocate Certification
- Why We Should Avoid Using the Title “Certified Patient Advocate”
- Revisiting Education and Patient Advocates’ Certification
- Are Patient Advocates Certified or Credentialed? at About.com
- An Advocate’s Allegiance Makes All the Difference
Health Advocate Code of Conduct and Professional Standards: